||The beautiful seaport city has a host of historical
buildings and landmarks for you to explore and enjoy - some which
were built as early as 1884. They all offer a different type of
building architecture. To obtain more information about these
buildings and tours of the city's historic downtown area you
may contact the Chamber of Commerce. Should you be interested in North Bend Historic Buildings the pictures are here.
Luse House built in 1885 by Pioneer Jesse Luse, Publisher of the Marshfield Sun Newspaper. Continuous line of family ownership until the 1990s.
Elks Temple: 170 S. Second St (1920 National Register). This building was the Elk's Club from 1920 to 1980. It went through extensive restoration and was reopened in 1985.
Chandler Hotel and Annex: 187 W. Central (1909 and 1913 National Register). The hotel served as a central point for future downtown development. The restoration of the building began in summer of 1985.
Tioga Hotel - 275 N. Broadway (1925, 1928, completed 1948 National Register). The Great Depression and World War Two put a halt to the construction of the tallest building on the Oregon Coast. The building has since been remodeled to provide housing for seniors.
Joseph W. Bennett House - 202 Alder St. Joseph Bennett and his father came from Ireland in 1873. His father became the founder of Bandon, Oregon while Joseph established the Flannagan and Bennett Bank of Coos Bay.
Nels Rasmussen House - 276 Birch St. Founded in 1893, Mr. Rasmussen had this house built as a present for his bride - Miss Jenny Larson.
Andrew Nasburg House - 687 N. Third St (1884 National Register nomination). The Nasburg house was the home of a Swedish immigrant. He was the cities first postmaster and was also a local merchant.
Henry Sengstacken House - 682 N. Third St. (1904 National Register). Mr. Sengstacken was a German immigrant who became the mayor of Marshfield in 1903. He was a local businessman and landowner.
Siglin/Flanagan House - 474 Park. Built in 1889. Mr. Siglin was a major in the Union Army during the Civil War. He was an attorney and the editor of the first weekly newspaper in Coos Bay . Mr Flanagan was a banker and owned the Marshfield Water Company. He was also involved in logging and coal mining.
Carnegie Library - 515 Market St. Built in 1915. This is one of the many Carnegie Libraries located throughout the United States. Fundraising began in 1906 through various means, plus a contribution from Mr. Carnegie. The building would not have been completed without the Coos Bay Progress Club.
Coos Bay National Bank - 245 Central Avenue. Constructed 1923. The bank was designed by an architect from Portland by the name of John E. Tourtellotte. The building has a simplified Renaissance style. It is sometimes referred to as the "Bugge Bank".
Myrtle Arms Apartments - Sixth and Central (1914 National Register Nominee). This is one of the rather rare buildings in city that combines both mission and pueblo styles in its' architecture . It was one of the first large apartment buildings in the city and today maintains many of its original features.
R. F. Williams House - 936 Central Ave. Built 1896. This house was built for a local banker. The stones in the foundation of the house came to the area as "ballast" aboard sailing ships.
Wesley Methodist Hospital - 790 Commercial Street. Built 1925. This building was originally a Methodist Hospital . Years later the building was acquired by the Sisters of Mercy and named The McAuley Hospital. The building was remodeled in 1982 and reopened as the Ken Keyes College. It has changed ownership many times since.
Marshfield Sun Building - 1049 N. Front St. Built 1895. This is where Jesse Luse published the Marshfield Sun Newspaper from 1891 to 1944. Much of the original equipment and some artifacts still remain at the site.