Coos Bay Lighthouses
Cape Blanco - Cape Blanco Light Station occupies nearly 48 acres of land. There were originally two-family dwellings built for the keeper's quarter - each with fireplaces to heat the rooms. Several other small buildings were constructed around the lighthouse to store oil and other necessary equipment. The lighthouse was lit for the first time on December 20, 1870. The lighthouse is the most westerly lighthouse in Oregon: It is the highest of Oregon's lighthouses at 256 feet above sea level: The lighthouse also had the first woman keeper, Mabel E. Bretherton. In 1939 the U.S. Coast Guard took over the care of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was later automated and was finally abandoned in 1979. The original lens was a fixed Fresnel lens (non-rotating). Later, the lens was replaced with an electrical lens that provided a flash of light every 20 seconds. Today, the light keepers are gone and the lighthouse is powered by a 1,000 watt bulb, rotating electric motor, and it flashes at the rate of once every 18 seconds.
Coquille Lighthouse: The Coquille River Lighthouse was the last lighthouse to be built on the Oregon coast and was completed in 1896.
The tower stand a rather "short" 40 feet and originally beamed with a Fourth Order Lens. In 1939 the lighthouse became automated. Years of neglect left the lighthouse in a state of deterioration. The Oregon State Parks began restoration of the lighthouse in 1976. Today, the lighthouse has a High Victorian Italiante architecture and can be viewed from the waterfronts in Bandon, Oregon.
Heceta-Head Lighthouse: This lighthouse is located on the west side of the 1000 foot Heceta Head and stands 205 feet above the ocean. The light stands at the top of a 56 foot tower and was first lit in 1894. The lighthouse is now fully automated and is rated as the strongest light on the Oregon coast - it can be seen nearly 21 miles from land.
Umpqua River Lighthouse: The Umpqua River Lighthouse was originally built in 1857 near the mouth of the river. It was destroyed by a flood in 1861 and rebuilding began in 1891 with a completion date of 1894. The oil lamp was replaced by an electric light in 1934. The tower stands 65 feet: It is 165 feet above sea level and has a visibility of nearly 19 miles. The signal it emits is 2 white flashes followed by 1 red. The original cost was 50,000 dollars.
Cape Arago Lighthouse: The current Cape Arago Lighthouse was built in 1934 after replacing two previous lighthouses which were eroded. The lighthouse stands on a 44 foot tower and is located just south of Coos Bay, Oregon. It is 100 feet above sea level and has a fourth order Fresnel lens which is fully automated. The lighthouse is situated on a tiny inland and the only access to the lighthouse is a footbridge. It can easily be viewed from a trail off the Sunset Beach State Park. Please be very careful if you take the trail from the beach. The cliffs are steep and can be very dangerous. Unfortunately more than one soul has been lost while traversing the cliffs. My advice to you would be to invite an Oregonian to take you on this journey.